Sunday, July 18, 2010

Storm!

We had a severe thunderstorm pass through our area last night. I woke up around 2:50AM to the sound of high winds, rain and hail. Shortly after the tornado sirens started going off. I went downstairs to see what was happening. Turned the news on and found out that there was no tornado threat, the sirens were going off due to high winds (up to 80MPH). I decided not to wake the kids and take them to the basement since there was not a tornado and b/c it was 3AM and I really didn't want to get my kids up at that hour!!! They slept through the storm, although our power went off a little after 3 (was off for 4 hours) and Stella woke up around 4, it was pitch black in the house and she didn't know where she was and she was scared b/c she couldn't see anything.
We had two very large branches fall down and TONS AND TONS of big sticks and leaves all over our yard. Clean up was fun....not!! :) Patio chairs and cushions were blown off the deck, along with the kids' picnic table and some toys. One of our gutters got damaged, but other than that we came out pretty lucky!


4 comments:

Freebird.Crew said...

Wow, that is some serious wind!! Happy you didn't have more damage, although I'm sure you were totally sick of picking up sticks by the end of the day.

Amy H said...

OMG! I am so glad we are no longer there!! I would not have gotten ANY sleep. Cant believe the kids slept through it. Glad ur ok. Those storms were especially scary at night. I remember sleeping in mom and dads room during them.

Nana said...

WOWZIE!!! What a storm! Can't believe that we got nothing down here. Looks like you had alot of branches to pick up. You were lucky there was no more damage to the house. Glad the kids slept through it.

Angie Shay said...

So glad that you did not have any damage to your house due to the storm! I am sure the yard clean-up was not fun though!