Sunday, January 24, 2010

Home Depot

I'm basiclly writing this post so I don't forget about it in the future!! My brain seems to be turning to mush more and more each day! :)
On Friday, Porter & I dropped Stella off at school and as we loaded back into the car I asked Porter what he wanted to do now. I figured he'd say go home and play. Without missing a beat he says "Go to Home Depot!" I should probably mention that Mike has been out of town for a week and we won't see him until this coming Friday afternoon when head to Okoboji for the winter games. I think Porter was missing his daddy b/c he has never once asked me to go to Home Depot! And if you know me, Home Depot is definitely not one of my favorite places to go!! So I thought, well maybe we will go home anyway, but as I looked back at P in my rear view mirror I knew that I *HAD* to take him to Home Depot. On our way there I asked him what he wanted to look at at Home Depot and he told me "All of it"!!! And boy was he excited!!!!!!!!!!! He sat on ALL of the ride-on lawnmowers until he figured out which one was his favorite. Then he looked at the model kitchens, bathroom sinks, light fixtures, mailboxes, etc, etc, etc! Then we came upon the Holy Grail---THE TOOLS!!!!!!! I honestly thought he was going to pass out from excitement! He practically lept out of the cart to touch all the hammers, pliers, wrenches, drills, screwdrivers! He was so happy! I pulled out my phone then and called Mike and handed the phone to Porter and Porter yelled "Me at Home Depot!" What an easy way to make my little guys day!! :)
Thought I'd include a photo of Mike and Porter working with their tools last March assembling Porter's big boy bed (look at those curls!)

8 comments:

Angie Shay said...

That is priceless! I can tell just from reading your post that you absolutely made Porter's day! You are a great mom!

Freebird.Crew said...

Love this story!

littlefamily said...

what a great story. How fun to see him so happy!!

Nana said...

Awwwwww... What a cute story! Brought tears to my eyes! Know he is missing his daddy! So cool that you took him to HD! Sounds like he was in hog heaven!!!We are heading out to IA early tomorrow. Anxious to see everyone, but have enjoyed the warm weather while here.

Anna Leigh said...

That is too sweet! Glad you could make the little guy's day! And love his curly hair in that pic!

Nadine said...

That's so cute! And it saves you money. Instead of paying for the zoo, the museum, amusement parks, etc. all you need to do is taking your kid to Home Depot.

Amy Barker said...

What a sweet story! It was so nice of you to take him there, K! Isn't it amazing how little it takes to make kids happy? That's a good lesson for the rest of us to take some time out and enjoy the little things!

Sheila said...

I usually don't post comments on people's blogs that I don't know, but I stumbled across this one and just had to let you know about the kid workshops Home Depot has. I believe they are the first Sat. of every month. But the kids get work apron and get to sit down with a parent and build the project of the day. Lowes does it, too.