Monday, July 14, 2008

Our Olympic Hopefuls!!!!






I'm not sure how much Shawn Johnson has been talked about outside of Iowa, but here she is already BIG news! She is from West Des Moines and the #1 ranked USA gymnastics girl! WHOO HOO! Today there was a big send off for her and Lolo Jones, also number #1 in hurdles. Lolo is from Des Moines and went to Roosevelt High. Shawn is still a student at Valley High in WDM. Anyhoo, the kids and I went down today for their big send off with our neighbor, Cheryl. Cheryl is friends with Shawn's family so we had FRONT row seats! It was so neat. I sat right next to her Grandma and her aunt. I also met her parents, uncle and cousins! Pretty cool. :) Simon Estes (also from IA!) sang the national anthem.

4 comments:

littlefamily said...

looks like fun, you even dressed the kids in RED/WHITE/BLUE!!!

Nana said...

Yes, the kids look very patriotic! Cool that you got to experience the send off! Great girls to represent IA. Too bad the fam didn't slip you some tickets to Bejing!

Freebird.Crew said...

that is so cool! what a great thing for stella to see too & you'll have fun watching shawn in the olympics now!! s & p looked so cute!

Amy Barker said...

That's very cool, K! I think it was so great that you had them dressed patriotically.
I kind of like that name Lolo. Some might think I was a little Loco for thinking that it's cool.