Monday, January 27, 2014

Built ins/Fireplace makeover


The latest project was redoing the built ins/fireplace area. I've gone through my pics these are the best "before" pics I have. The previous owners painted the wood a dark brown, which I actually didn't mind. Mike didn't care for it at all. Mom recently wallpapered behind her built ins so that inspired me. 

Another "before" shot. 

The process ended up being a little more labor intensive than we had planned, but what project isn't! Haha. We ended up putting 3 coats of black stain on the built ins. The first two coats were streaky looking. Finally, we mixed the stain/poly mix really good and it finally worked. The wallpaper also had to be hung twice. First time there was WAY too much paste, after 6+ hours of drying there was still wet glue oozing from behind the wallpaper. Had to rip it off and start all over again. 2nd time was much better. The kids both helped with the wallpaper. 

The came time to tear off the old tile. I actually did some of this, but I'm always behind the camera! :)


Finished product. I really like this! One of my favorite transformations so far. I need some major help in "styling" the built ins. Sara or mom need to come help me with that...hint, hint! This is my lame attempt. 

With the fire on. We don't really use the fireplace bc the blowers are SO LOUD! But I turned it on for sake of the pic. :) now we are talking about painting the walls in the family room..... We shall see! :)

2 comments:

little said...

it looks great! You surely have more knick knacks to put in there, if not, go shopping! love the tile around the fireplace!

Nana said...

Wow! What a make over! Love the wallpaper and new tile! I agree with SR, you have to have more chotches than that! When I come up this wkend, we'll have to go "room shopping"!